Outlook is a free web-based email service brought to you by Microsoft. It is almost similar to Gmail but has combined Hotmail and Windows Live into a single email service. You can create an Outlook email account if you don’t already have one. You’ll get access to a number of features that don’t exist in other email services.
If you don’t know how to create an Outlook email, read on for simple instructions to set up an Outlook account for yourself.
Outlook email settings
Sign up for an Outlook email account by following the steps below:
- First of all, go to the Outlook login screen by visiting this link: https://outlook.live.com/owa/ and click ‘Login’.
- On the next page, you will be given multiple options like ‘Login Options’, ‘Log in with a security key’, you need to click on the ‘Create one!’ option.
- You will then be prompted to create a username and select the ‘outlook.com’ or ‘hotmail.com’ domain name. If you are going to create an Outlook account, go to the first one and if you want to create a Hotmail account, click on the second one.
- Once your username is verified, the next step is to create a password for your Outlook account and press ‘Next’.
- Then enter your first name, last name and press ‘Next’.
- Enter your date of birth and the country you belong to, and click ‘Next’.
- You will be shown some characters on the screen that you need to enter to make sure that a real person is creating this account, press ‘Next’ when you are verified.
- That’s all! Your Microsoft account is ready, press ‘Continue to site’ to continue.
- This is how your Outlook account inbox will appear as shown in the image below.
This is how you can sign up for Outlook account, but before you proceed to use it, you should know what useful features it will offer you.
Notable Outlook Features
Every email client has the general features of sending or receiving an email, here are the exceptional features that you will get along with your new Outlook email account:
- Schedule messages so you can return to your inbox when needed.
- Pin important messages to keep them at the top of your inbox.
- Personalize your outgoing emails using text formatting features.
- Archive and delete your messages using swipe gestures.
- Ability to switch between Email, People, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, Folders, Shortcuts and Add-ins as you can open multiple Outlook windows.
- Use the clean button to remove duplicate messages from your inbox.
- Add travel itineraries and flight plans from emails to your calendar.
- Attach files from Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and Box.
- Edit Office files right from your Outlook inbox.
Outlook mobile app
You can even access your Outlook email address for Android and iOS by downloading the free Microsoft Outlook app to your mobile device. Then sign in to your account and use all the features of Outlook on your phone. For Windows 10 phones, there is a built-in app for Outlook. Access email, calendar, and contacts from your smartphone or tablet on the go.
What is the difference between Outlook.com and Hotmail.com?
The Hotmail email service was launched in 1996, but was acquired by Microsoft in 1997 when it branded the email client as MSN Hotmail. In 2005, Hotmail was rebranded as Windows Live Hotmail. For years, it kept many users confused when they searched for Hotmail and went to the Windows Live page. Outlook.com was Microsoft’s final attempt to bring all of its email services under one name. So if you select ‘hotmail.com’ or ‘live.com’ in your browser, you will be taken to Outlook.live.com, which is Microsoft’s currently running email service.
If you still want to have a free Hotmail account, you can go to the link https://outlook.live.com/owa/ and while signing up, use ‘hotmail.com’ as domain. The rest of the steps are the same, and you’ll get the same features you get with a free Outlook email account.
Get Outlook Premium for an advanced experience
Premium Outlook is the paid version of Outlook, however it was discontinued in 2017 but later premium features were added to the Outlook desktop app which was added in Office 365. If you subscribed to Microsoft Office 365 Home or Office software 365 Personal packages, you will get Outlook with premium features as part of the package.
Here are the benefits of using Outlook for Office 365:
- It allows you to work from anywhere.
- Get extra data security and control
- Synchronize all your emails, contacts and meetings
- Say hello to the 50 GB mailbox with Office 365
- Compose emails offline
- automatic synchronization
- custom domain
How to sign up for Yahoo mail
Create and configure Gmail
Create an AOL account